Thursday, November 22, 2012

What I'm thankful for

Good morning and happy Thursday! To those of you in the US, Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is a day given over to remembering those pilgrims that were among the first to come to this country (not counting the natives who were already here), in order to make a new life in a new land. They gave thanks with a large feast, to which they invited the natives who'd helped them survive. In homes across the country, this feast will be reenacted in a modern way, with friends and family, and much eating. Thanksgiving is a holiday much given to eating. A lot of preparation for a meal, but one dear to the hearts of many. Also, football watching, and parade watching, although I confess I don't generally participate in either.

But beyond the food, the important thing is to give thanks. To reflect on what you have, to be grateful for the people in your life, and for your life itself. No one's life is perfect, but then again, what is perfect? If you spend your life always thinking about what  you want to have and not realizing what you already have, what sort of life is that?

First and foremost, I have my children, who love and support me. Michael, Katie, Sarah and Chris. I couldn't ask for better children. They are my pride and joy, each and everyone. I would never change anything that came in my life before, for that would change having them, and that I would never do. Everything happens for a reason; they are my reasons. I love all of you more than mere words can convey.










I am thankful for the many friends in my life - you know who you are. You keep me centered, you make me smile, you make me laugh, and you keep me going. More importantly, you put up with me, and that's not always an easy task. Friendship is a two way street, and I hope to keep those avenues open for a long time to come. You are the family that accept me and understand me. Blood does not always a family make. Outside of my children, I don't have the acceptance of my family, but dwelling on that is pointless, so I don't. I cherish the family I've been blessed to find in my friends, and I am thankful to each and every one of you.

I don't live in a mansion but, seriously, who does? Not a lot of people. Mansions are highly overrated. And while it has its flaws, there are people who have no home who would think I live in a wonderful house, especially compared to having no shelter at all. So I am grateful for my home and what I have in it, and for the car I drive, and because I never go hungry, and I don't have to sleep on the streets or seek shelter from inclement weather. I have a home, with my daughter, and two cats. I am very grateful for all of them.

I am grateful to live in a country where great things can happen, where I can speak my mind (even if there are people who don't want to listen), and not worried about being put in prison for doing so. This country isn't perfect either, far from it, but people working together can fix anything.

I am grateful to be working and paying my bills, even if I am looking for more permanent work. But everything does happen for a reason, and that too will happen. I am grateful for my ability to write, for I love writing more than anything, and hope to become self-sufficient as a writer some day in the not so distant future. I am grateful to those publishers who have believed in me and given me the opportunity to show what I can do. And I am grateful that I am learning how to self-publish as well.

I am grateful to all my readers, and I hope that I can keep on pleasing you for many years to come. Thank you for your support, and for your many kind words and shared feelings. Keep them coming, please!

So now my wishes for the future: I wish that people would love one another, and accept one another for who they  are. Yes, we're all different, but underneath we're all the same. We live, we hope, we love. We should all be free to do so. To express ourselves in our own ways. To respect the rights of others and do no harm to them. I wish that we could all live together in harmony and celebrate our differences, appreciate our similarities, and enjoy life for what it is. Help those that need it. No one should be homeless or hungry. Children should not lack for food or education. We have the power to change these things, right these wrongs. So let's do it.

My favorite song ever is The Impossible Dream, from Man of La Mancha. I feel that it embodies what I think and how I feel. Especially these lines:

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause


Thank you for this day, for my life, and for the people in it. Never stop trying to do what's right, no matter how hard it might seem, no matter the obstacles in your path.

Thank you all for reading this. Have a wonderful day!

Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment