Monday, October 6, 2014

Ichabod's back, Gotham, Forever, and more

The new season of Sleepy Hollow has begun with a bang!  **SPOILERS AHEAD** As you may
recall, at the end of last season, Ichabod was buried in a coffin by Henry, the Sin-eater (aka Jeremy, his son), Abby's sister was in an accident, Captain Irving confessed to a murder he didn't commit to save his daughter, while Ichabod's wife Katrina is in the hands of the Headless Horseman. The first episode was spectacular and has set the bar high for what's to come. I love the development of the characters, particularly Ichabod and Abby. Ichabod is embracing this time more and more. I find it hard to believe he'll be willing to leave it once the four horsemen have been dealt with, and I'm not sure he'll end up with Katrina, but that all remains to be seen.  We see more of the Horseman this season, in that he can assume his former appearance for short periods of time, and of course there's always Moloch, who's determined to take possession of the world for his own purposes. Good times ahead!




I wasn't sure I was going to watch Gotham when I first heard about it, not sure I trusted them to do a good job with the story, and not sure how interesting a pre-Batman Gotham might be. But I gave it a try, and I'm glad I did. **SPOILERS AHEAD** Ben McKenzie plays the young James Gordon, rookie policeman, who's there on the night of the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents' murder, and bonds with the young traumatized boy. Donal Logue is his partner, Detective Harvey Bullock, and  you know from the outside he isn't exactly on the up and up, although James is as honest as they come. To prove himself to Harvey and the criminal element, he pretends to kill Oswald Cobblepot, but actually just pushes him in the river and tells him to stay away from Gotham. Of course, that can't happen as he is the future Penguin. And we see other criminals-to-be before their rise to criminality - Riddler, Joker, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman. Sean Pertwee plays Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce's butler/caretaker. He's looking good, I must say, and I like the way he plays Alfred. Jada Pinkett Smith plays a criminal named Fish Mooney, but don't look for a one-dimensional performance there, as she gives layers to her character.   The writing is good, the acting is good, and the characters are interesting and well-written. I particularly like whoever does the matte paintings - the backgrounds are very well done. I look forward to seeing what they do with the show in its premiere season. Look for Gotham on Monday nights.

Another new show I've started to watch is Forever, Tuesday nights on ABC. I didn't know anything
about it until the day of its premiere, when I heard an ad about an immortal medical examiner, and I knew I had to at least watch one episode. **SPOILERS AHEAD** Am I glad I did. Ioan Gruffudd plays a two-hundred-year-old man, Henry Morgan,  who doesn't seem able to die. He's a medical examiner in New York City, and he's trying to find out why he can't seem to die. Or at least stay dead. Every time he dies, he reappears in the river - naked - which can lead to some interesting times. He lives with Abe (Judd Hirsch), who although he looks older than Henry is actually younger and was raised by Henry from an infant, making him technically Henry's son. Alana de la Garza plays Detective Jo Martinez, who is skeptical of Henry at first but comes to see his worth, even if she knows nothing of his past. I already love this series and hope it lasts. The scenes between Henry and Abe are some of my favorites. I suspect at some point, Henry will become involved with Jo and tell her the truth, but that is just speculation on my part. Ioan is certainly easy on the eyes, too. I have a theory as to why he's immortal - just guesswork, of course, but at the time it occurred, he was a doctor on a ship, and he was trying to protect the life of a slave. I believe that slave used some sort of voodoo or magic to prolong Henry's life. We'll see.

I just watched the season finale of Outlander, based on the books by Diana Gabaldon, which I haven't read yet. Catriona Balfe plays Claire Randall, a nurse in 1945 Great Britain. **SPOILERS AHEAD** She and her husband, Frank (Tobias Menzies, Edmure Tully of Game of Thrones) are on a second honeymoon in Scotland after the war ends. Claire goes, on her own, to see some mysterious stones, and finds herself in a different time, a time when the English are the enemy of the Scots, in the middle of their fighting. First she runs into her husband's distant ancestor, who is a bit of a bastard, and then she is taken prisoner by the Scots, who think she's an English spy. They call her Sassenach, or Outlander. All she wants to do is get back to Inverness, to the stones and her husband, but they have other plans. And then a complication occurs in the person of young, handsome Jamie Frasier. She ends up married to him, but a chance occurrence lands her near the stones and she sees her chance to go home. Unfortunately, the British capture her and Black Jack (her husband's ancestor) is all set to rape her when Jamie appears and the season ends. I'm interested to see what happens next season, and which man she'll end up with.

The new season of American Horror Story starts this week, on October 8th. This time it's Freak Show, and the previews look very interesting. More after I watch it.

The Originals and Vampire Diaries are starting up also, and Once Upon a Time, which has an interesting new plot. More on those later.

No comments:

Post a Comment