Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Wednesday Briefs: The Sheriff #44 (11.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

So now Roy and Dustin are hanging out with Lee and Marshall. Does this mean they're a couple... or maybe just hungry? See what's happening in this week's chapter of The Sheriff. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they're up to! Their links follow my tale!  Enjoy!

The Sheriff #44 (11.2)


“So, I see there’s been some new developments,” Lee commented, breaking into Roy’s thoughts. Which were pretty well centered on Dustin.

 Roy glanced at his friend. Lee’s face revealed nothing. “What do you mean?”

“I mean I don’t think you’ve heard a word I’ve said in the last five minutes and you keep staring toward a certain blond is what I mean.” He gave Roy a wry smile. “You want to talk about it?”

He probably was staring at Dustin, wasn’t he? Everything between them had changed. Roy’s whole perspective had turned topsy-turvy in the blink of an eye. And yet it felt so right. At the same time, what happened with the younger man was opening up whole new ways of thinking Roy’d never thought of before.

“I’m not sure what to say,” Roy admitted. “And I sure as hell don’t know what it is I’m feeling. But whatever it is, it’s good. Does that make sense?”

Lee nodded. “You like Dustin, don’t you?”

“I do, but it’s more than that. I like him in a way I’ve never liked any man before. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I just never expected it to happen to me.” He was fumbling for words now and he knew it. “Does that sound as stupid as I think it does?”

“Not at all. Dustin’s a good kid... Sorry, young man. He’s no kid, is he?”

“No, that he is not.” Roy chuckled in spite of himself. “In fact, Dustin knows more about some things than I do. And I think he’s got a good heart, just needs to… I dunno. Grow up a little bit. But I think he’s trying.”

“I think he is too. And I think you’re a very good influence on him. I see the way he watches you. Not just today, but before. Recently, anyway. I wondered if there might be something there. Guess now I know.” Lee flipped the steaks as he spoke.

“So you aren’t against us being together or anything?”

Lee gave him a startled glance. “Why would I be?”

“Well, what with the trouble before… you know…”

“With Marshall? Yeah, I wasn’t happy about all that. But that’s been dealt with and it’s done.”

Roy glanced across the back yard, and his eyes met Dustin’s. He couldn’t have prevented the smile that came to his lips if he’d wanted to… and he didn’t want to.

“Yeah, I think you got it bad,” Lee said with a smirk.

Roy felt his cheeks turn warm, but he wasn’t about to deny it.

“You worried about tonight?” Lee asked.

Roy turned toward him. “No,” he said, “’cause I won’t let anything happen to him. I’m going to make sure that asshole never hurts him again. Then I’m going to show him that he does have value, ‘cause he’s pretty down on himself at times. But I think that has to do with things that have happened to him when he was growing up. Filled him with doubt. Let him think he’s worthless. But he isn’t. There’s something special there…”

His voice trailed off as he watched Dustin and Marshall rise from their chairs and head toward them.
“Roy Landry,” Lee said. “You’re a good man, and never doubt that for a moment.” He raised his voice, addressing the two young men. “I’m about to take the steaks off to rest for a few minutes. 
What are you guys up to?”

“Just thought we’d see if the chefs needed more beer,” Marshall said.

Roy laughed. “He’s the chef, I’m just the assistant. But that sounds like a good idea.  I’ll grab the beers. Everyone want one?”

Apparently everyone did. “I’ll help you,” Dustin quickly offered.

“Thanks.” Roy ushered Dustin toward the house. He just knew Lee and Marshall were both smiling, and he didn’t care.

As soon as they were inside the kitchen, he pulled Dustin to him and pressed their lips together for a very long time.

to be continued

Now visit the other Briefers and see what's happening!








No comments:

Post a Comment